Home » About Us » FAQ

Legal Registration FAQ

Most Frequently Asked Questions about how to legally get married in Thailand

Q. Can we legally get married in Thailand?
A: Yes, non-Thai couples or Thai National and foreigner couples can get married in Thailand. It is easy to arrange and can be quickly accomplished but you must prepare all the necessary paperwork to submit at your embassy or consulate in Bangkok first.

Q: My partner and I are different nationalities; can we still get married in Thailand?
A: Yes, you can. Couples of different nationalities will need to visit two different embassies to complete the relevant paperwork.

Q: How many days we will be required to complete the process in Bangkok?
A: It depends on your embassy. It might take only half a day or up to 3 days.

Q: Can anyone arrange an agent in Bangkok for us?
A: Yes, we can arrange an agent in Bangkok for you. They will meet with you at your embassy and help with the paperwork. They will get your necessary paperwork translated and deposit to the Thai Foreign Ministry. Their service fee is THB 5,000 per person and all embassy fees will be on your account.

Q: Will my marriage be valid in my own country?
A: Yes, if you acquire Marriage License and Marriage Certificate from the official in Thailand.

Q: Can we appoint the Registrar to complete the Marriage Certificate at our wedding ceremony?
A: Yes, you can and THB 5,000 administration fee is required for the registrar. Once you receive your Marriage License, our Wedding Planner will submit the paperwork to the City Hall to register the marriage and make an appointment for the registrar to come on your wedding day.

Marriage License

Marriage in Thailand by non-Thai couples or Thai National and foreigner couples is easy to arrange and can be quickly accomplished. Firstly, you will need to provide and finalize all the necessary paperwork at your embassy or your consulate in Bangkok before your wedding day in Koh Samui or Phuket. It might be advisable to hire the service of an agent to assist you with the running of the documents.

Visit your embassy in Bangkok and submit a statutory declaration (also known as an affirmation or affidavit) to say that you are a single person who is free to marry. Please note that some embassies require you to make an appointment for this and will require other supporting documents. Please check with your respective embassy in Bangkok beforehand.

Collect the statutory declaration that has been endorsed by your embassy’s consular. Some embassies will endorse your statutory declaration on the same day while others will require up to 3 days to complete the process. Please check with your embassy in Bangkok for the processing time required and fees payable.

Get the statutory declaration translated into Thai by an authorized translation bureau in Bangkok. Please note fees will apply.

  • Below is the list of basic documentation;
  • Passport and copies of the front page
  • A 30-day tourist visa
  • A valid 10-year passport
  • An original full birth certificate
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower)
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name)
  • Adoption certificate (if applicable)

Submit your documents (both the Statutory Declarations and their translations) at the Thai Foreign Ministry to have them authenticated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It will take up to 2-3 working days to process the applications.

Marriage Certificate

Once the Marriage License is verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you can collect the documents and then submit them to the Registrar at any Amphur (City Hall) in Thailand. The registrar, once satisfied, will register the marriage and issue duplicate Thai marriage certificates, ready for signature. This normally takes 2 working days to process. Please note that registration of civil marriages usually takes place on a weekday (not public holidays) and also that some Amphurs (City Hall) require a translator to be present.

After signature, you’re legally married and have two Thai marriage certificates in your possession. We heartily recommend that you have your marriage certificates translated by an authorized translation bureau here in Thailand, as it will be more expensive to do in your home country.

Please note:
Some countries require that the translation of your signed Thai marriage certificate is certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs prior to being certified by your embassy. This means that you will need a second visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok as well as your embassy.